Sunday, February 1, 2009

A CONFIDENCE THING

If you are like me, when you feel indistinct and vague, it is helpful to come upon a person to model yourself upon. I don't know how those backless halters fit here -- because they are a little hippie -- but there is this woman who is about as sharp as you can get. Of course you know Shirley Chisholm is the first African American woman in congress and the first African American to run for president -- seriously -- with support and with delegates -- in 1972 -- but have you heard her speak?

I just don't know if my brain can get behind my mouth like that. I know my brain is strong but sometimes it is so sleepy. Actually it's a confidence thing.

Confidence, as far as I can tell, is really hard to learn if you didn't get it early. Kind of like learning a musical instrument. Easiest to learn when you are a child, open, easily formed. There have been times when long periods have passed where I haven't spoken to ANYONE -- like days of not speaking -- and I am forced to leave the hotel room -- for work or groceries -- and people can't hear me and worse, people don't see me. I am invisible. Ugh. Have you ever tried to talk to the butcher in a grocery store? You have to shout.

Now you are wondering how I can wear the backless halter tops. I tell you, it is a challenge to put the damn thing on my body.

No comments: